Thursday, September 24, 2020

Blog 1.1 BBQ Forge

    Hello and welcome to Seth Hopefully Doesn't Set His Yard On Fire, or SHDSHYOF, I know it's a very short acronym. This weeks plan was to make a sketch to plan out the forge, because I didn't want to get too ahead of myself and end up messing up a step. The main reason for drawing this is to make sure that my pipe tuyere is the right size and is able to distribute the forge's heat easily. A pipe tuyere is a pipe that runs through the forge and air is blown into it. It acts as a bellows in my case, and will concentrate the heat onto the specific piece of metal.

I'll be using a fence post as my pipe tuyere, and I have to make sure to soak the fence post in muriatic acid to dissolve the zinc coating on the outside. If not soaked, the zinc fumes when burned will cause fume fever, and could result in fever, shakiness, and unconsciousness. For this project I will be following a guide by Devin Gustus, who did a similar project. I'll be relying on tools I already have, and some resources I already possess. 

Check back next week to see where the journey leads!

1 comment:

  1. I really like where this project is headed. Also, I don’t believe I’ve ever known anyone build their own BBQ forge. The attention to detail is great!

    ReplyDelete

Blog 2.8 Bruce Jr's License

      This is the final week of Genius Hour, and I've learned a lot about how to teach people. I've come to realize that it's ha...