Thursday, October 22, 2020

Blog 1.4 BBQ Forge

     Hello and welcome to the fourth installment Seth Hopefully Doesn't Set His Yard On Fire, or SHDSHYOF, things got hot this past week despite the cold weather. I encountered a road bump this week because of the heavy winds it was hard to get a fire started in my grill. I decided to use a piece of plywood to block the wind, and then once I had the fire lit I removed the cardboard and allowed the natural wind to stoke the fire. Once I had the fire lit I let it burns for about 30 minutes in order to make a nice layer of char and coals to ensure a good temperature when I get to forging. 

    The temperature I measured got to an upwards of 700 degrees! I fought the urge to test the power of the heat by throwing things in there to see how fast they will burn. I'm really eager to start forging so I think for next week we will skip the safety portion, and just move right into hitting steel. Hopefully the forge can get to a high enough heat so I can actually mold the piece of metal, but we will see how it goes. Burn next week!


3 comments:

  1. I bet this is super challenging with the weather! What is the maximum degrees you want to hit? How long do you think its going to take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How hot does the fire need to be to forge iron? What will you do if you aren't able to achieve this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is pretty cool. Is that a picture of your forge? How hot do you need to be able to get it and what will you be making once you achieve being able to get it warm enough?

    ReplyDelete

Blog 2.8 Bruce Jr's License

      This is the final week of Genius Hour, and I've learned a lot about how to teach people. I've come to realize that it's ha...